Thursday, May 22, 2008

An Amazing Trip to London

I don't even know where to start to describe the amazing trip I took to London.  

First of all, just spending time with Katie was worth the trip.  No one makes me laugh as hard as she does!  I think both of us were in serious need of some laughter!  Plus, as you can read in the previous entry, it was Katie's birthday.  Yet another wonderful reason to visit her.

I will try to recap from where I left off in the previous entry. Wednesday, I went back into London for more sight seeing by myself.  I decided to just take the train to town with Katie when she went to work, but I did not buy a tube pass that day.  Though the tube is nice, you miss so much of the character of the city.  I started the day by heading towards Trafalgar Square.  I walked past Downing Street, just so I could say that I have been there.  

I went to Trafalgar with the intent to spend some time at the National Gallery, but it didn't open until 10, so I walked down through Oxford Street through Green Park and saw the Spencer house (Princess Diana's family home).

I spent some time again at Buckingham...saw the horse guards come through the area. I then went to watch the guards as they practiced for the changing of the guards.  It was quite amazing.  

Then I went back to Oxford Street and did a little shopping for Tim (french cuff shirts and cuff links were the order of the day).  Next, I headed for Bond Street.  Needless to say, I did some window shopping, but that is it.  Harry Winston, Prada, Gucci, Cartier, Mont Blank, Dolce-- a little out of my league, but it was fun to look. Every shop has a guard outside.  I have never seen anything quite like it.  

After that, I had a sandwich at Caffe Nero and enjoyed the beautiful day outside. After lunch, I walked through Piccadilly Circus, then headed to Covent Garden (I think that is the correct order...forgive me if I am wrong).  I walked through the cute shops there and enjoyed the street performers.  

My final stop for the day was to the National Gallery- an amazing collection of art...and the admission was free!  I spent several hours there; it is overwhelming! You cannot really appreciate the massive collection of great works all in one day.  I spent several hours there, then headed back to meet Katie.  What a day!

More to come in the next post!


No comments:

Of Fire and Lions by Mesu Andrews

Those who know me best know that I love to read. I have read a lot of Biblical/Historical fiction books in my life, and Of Fire and Lions...