Thursday, May 22, 2008

Two Places at Once

On Thursday, I decided not to head into London, but to head to Greenwich.  Greenwich is where the Prime Meridian is located.  All of the world time zones are based from Greenwich. I rode the train to London, then took another train to Greenwich.  It was another sunny, breezy and beautiful day in England.

When I came out of the station, I headed towards the downtown area.  I love the adorable shops that line the streets!  I located the visitors center and got a map of the city as well as looked around at the shop and museum there.

The visitors center is actually located on the campus of the Royal Naval College and National
Maritime Museum.  The museum is quite nice, and the buildings of the college are lovely.  The clipper, the Cutty Sark is also being refurbished on site.

Through a beautiful park and up a massive hill is the location of the Royal Observatory.  The Prime Meridian actually passes through the building.  At night, they illuminate the Prime Meridian by laser light.  


The big silver sculpture actually shows the east and west hemisphere. In this picture, I actually have one foot in each hemisphere.  So I was in two places at once!
 
The world clock is located here, and it was used to count down to the year 2000.  Now it shows how many hours it has been since the millennium.

Anyway, at the top of the Observatory, there is a red ball on the roof that still drops to signify 1PM every day.

Greenwich was truly a lovely place, and I am so glad I spent the day there.

1 comment:

katiecutehair said...

Okay, so you didn't have to blog the entire trip... Cheeky girl

Of Fire and Lions by Mesu Andrews

Those who know me best know that I love to read. I have read a lot of Biblical/Historical fiction books in my life, and Of Fire and Lions...