Thursday, May 7, 2009

A Lesson from a Viking...

So I was reading the news headlines, and this story about a new Vikings draftee caught my attention...

From Yahoo Sports:

"New Vikings Signee Retains His Loyalty to Target
By MJD

A lot of guys, when they sign an NFL contract, might go out and buy something expensive, have a huge party, buy some jewelry, or maybe get a tattoo.

But if Nick Urban, former standout lineman at Winona State and brand new Minnesota Viking, is going to get a tattoo, it's going to be a red bullseye underneath the words, "Expect More. Pay Less."

Urban works (or worked) at Target, and you know what he did as soon as he found out the Vikings were giving him a contract? He put on the red shirt and worked his scheduled shift at Target.

From Access Vikings, via the watchful eye of Sportress of Blogitude:
“They were nice enough to take me on, knowing my situation and I owed them a lot,” Urban said of his bosses at Target, who gave him flexible, part-time hours so he could train for his shot at the NFL. “My parents raised me that way. They were nice enough to help out [at Target] and people that are nice enough to help you, you don’t just leave high and dry.”

That's fantastic. I'd love to think that if I were in Urban's shoes, I'd do the same thing, because I really admire the selflessness and loyalty he showed here...

...The next step for Urban is making the roster, and I wish him tremendous luck with that. He sounds like the kind of guy who deserves it.
"

Now initially, I am absolutely thrilled to hear about a guy who has a great work ethic and is doing the right thing by sticking by his employer and doing his job.

But now that I think about it for a bit, I think it is so sad that this is even considered newsworthy today...someone doing what they are supposed to do...doing a job and doing it well. That sure says a lot about the world we live in today.

I wish Urban the best. The world needs a whole lot more people with that work ethic. The welfare lines would sure be shorter!

No comments:

Of Fire and Lions by Mesu Andrews

Those who know me best know that I love to read. I have read a lot of Biblical/Historical fiction books in my life, and Of Fire and Lions...